CMCC Patient Advisory Committee Marks First for Medical Cannabis Industry
TORONTO, ONTARIO--(Marketwired - Sept. 2, 2015) - Today, the Canadian Medical
Cannabis Council (CMCC) announced the launch of the medical cannabis industry's first Patient
Advisory Committee (PAC). The Committee, which is comprised of leading patient groups from
across Canada, will work to ensure patients and their best interests are the focus of
the practices, activities and policy advocacy of CMCC.
The group currently includes representatives of the Canadian AIDS Society (CAS), The
Arthritis Society, Canadians for Fair Access to Medical Marijuana (CFAMM), the
Improving the Life of Children (ILC) Foundation and The Wellness Soldier.
Over the coming months, CMCC will be recruiting additional members to join the PAC.
CMCC's Interim Executive Director, Philippe Lucas, offered the following remarks about the
importance of PAC:
- "This is a historic announcement. With the patient advisory committee, CMCC is working
to help put patients, rightfully, at the centre of the discussion about the future of
Canada's medical cannabis industry."
- "Without a doubt, the Marihuana for Medical Purposes Regulations (MMPR) offer tremendous opportunities for leadership. At CMCC, we believe that this leadership also includes an unflagging respect for patients and the perspectives they have to share."
- "Regardless of the question, there can be no best answer for patients without first hearing from the patients themselves."
The Committee's first members echoed Lucas's remarks:
- "CFAMM welcomes the opportunity to come to the table to represent the diverse needs and interests of medical cannabis patients. Through collaboration with other members of CMCC's Patient Advisory Committee, we are poised to further Canadian patients' access to safe, legal, and affordable medical cannabis - Jonathan Zaid, CFAMM
- "As an organization, ILC is committed to helping improve the quality of life of children suffering from chronic pain. Initiatives like CMCC's Patient Advisory Committee offer each of our organizations the chance to amplify the patient's voice and keep our collective concerns in front of licensed producers and other industry decision makers." - Sandy Smeenk, ILC Foundation
- "Veterans, and all of those who rely on medical cannabis, need to know that there are champions working on their behalf to improve both access and care. We applaud the CMCC for the Patient Advisory Committee initiative and look forward to working towards the group's success as an advocate for patient priorities." - Cody Lindsay, The Wellness Soldier
About the Canadian AIDS Society
Incorporated since 1986, the Canadian AIDS Society (CAS)
is a national coalition of community-based AIDS organizations across Canada. CAS is dedicated
to strengthening the response to HIV/AIDS across all sectors of society, and to enriching
the lives of people and communities living with HIV/AIDS.
About The Arthritis Society
The Arthritis Society has been setting lives in motion
for over 65 years, and is dedicated to a vision of living well while creating a future
without arthritis. The Society is Canada's principal health charity providing
education, programs, research and support to the more than 4.6 million
Canadians living with arthritis.
About Canadians for Fair Access to Medical Marijuana
Canadians for Fair Access to Medical Marijuana is a
patient-run, non-profit organization that advocates for medical cannabis patients'
rights. CFAMM believes that when medically indicated, cannabis should be easy to
access, safe, affordable, standardized, and fully recognized as a prescription medication.
About Improving the Life of Children Foundation
The Improving the Life of Children Foundation (ILC) exists to inspire
hope and contribute to the health and well-being of children suffering from chronic pain
by providing a care model of health promotion education and knowledge transfer partnerships.
About The Wellness Soldier
The Wellness Soldier's mission is to provide
information, services, and products to help veterans live a healthy long life, focusing
on five main areas: veterans, eating healthy, fitness, meditation/becoming grounded,
and medical marijuana. The Wellness Soldier highlights healthy alternatives to
relieve the symptoms of occupational stress injuries as well as physical injuries.
About the Canadian Medical Cannabis Council (CMCC)
The Canadian Medical Cannabis Council (CMCC) is an industry
group representing stakeholders who are committed to advancing the highest standards of
integrity, safety, quality, access, security and research within Canada's medical
cannabis industry. All CMCC members are required to adhere to
a Code of Ethics designed to serve
patients' best interests.
To speak with a representative of CMCC, please contact:
416.425.9143 x14 or 1.866.337.3362 x14
Source: Canadian Medical Cannabis Council (CMCC)
For more HIV and AIDS News visit...
Positively Positive - Living with HIV/AIDS: