Positive Living BC seeking nominations for AccolAIDS Awards
by Craig Takeuchi on February 5th, 2016
Who is your British Columbian hero in the B.C. HIV/AIDS movement?
Positive Living BC is accepting nominations for outstanding individuals, groups, or organizations which have shown unparalleled devotion, effort, and humanity in addressing HIV/AIDS issues.
Nomination forms for the 2016 AccolAIDS Awards are available online. The deadline for nominations is February 26 at 5 p.m.
There are eight awards categories:
• Science/Research/Technology: for excellence in research, technology, treatments or the application of such advances in clinical practice that have improved the lives of people with HIV/AIDS
• Kevin Brown Positive Hero Award: for an individual widely respected and admired for contributions to the HIV/AIDS movement
• Philanthropy: for a voluntary charitable initiative, individual, group, institution or business that contributes time, resources or financial support to advance a specific cause
• Innovative policy, programs, and services: for HIV/AIDS–specific or related policy, programs or services which demonstrate a unique, progressive, empowering or creative approaches to individual or community health promotion and assisting people affected by HIV/AIDS
• Social/political/community action: for an individual, organization, group, institution or business with an initiative that has changed public policy or process to the benefit of individuals or communities affected by HIV/AIDS
• Youth leader award: for youth participation and leadership in advancing HIV/AIDS education, philanthropy, activism, service, or community development initiatives
• Panel's Merit Award: the AccolAIDS Nominations Advisory Panel names this award for unique contributions of a candidate from among the list of candidates nominated in one of the other award categories
• AccolAIDS "People's Choice" Community Award: starting mid-March, all nominees submitted by February 26 will be posted on the AccolAIDS website, giving people everywhere the opportunity to vote for their choice
The biennial 12 th AccolAIDS Awards gala will be held at the Vancouver Convention Centre on April 24. Proceeds from the event will benefit Positive Living BC.
For more information about nominations or the gala, visit the AccolAIDS website.
You can follow Craig Takeuchi on Twitter at twitter.com/cinecraig . You can also follow the Straight's LGBT coverage on Twitter at twitter.com/StraightLGBT or on Facebook .
About the Georgia Straight
Canada's Largest Urban Weekly
No other city publication knows more about Vancouver than the Georgia Straight. Established as the lifestyle and entertainment weekly in Vancouver for over 40 years, the Georgia Straight is an integral part of the active urban West Coast lifestyle with over 804, 000 readers (2009 Angus Reid).
Every Thursday, the Georgia Straight delivers an award-winning editorial package of features, articles, news and reviews. www.straight.com
"Reproduced with permission - The Georgia Straight"
The Georgia Straight
For more HIV and AIDS News visit...
Positively Positive - Living with HIV/AIDS: