CALL NOW: AIDS funds at risk in Budget Bill
Call Your Senators NOW
Urge them to Pass the "Fiscal Year 2009 Omnibus Appropriations bill" to get critical increases to HIV programs and funding for a National AIDS Strategy
Right now, the Senate is looking at Fiscal Year 2009 (FY09) Omnibus legislation. This Omnibus Appropriations Bill includes funding for the majority of domestic HIV/ AIDS programs.
It would increase:
- the Ryan White Program by $71.6 million
- HOPWA by $10 million (housing for people with AIDS), and
- the National Institutes of Health by $938 million
It would decrease ineffective abstinence-only programs by $14 million.
And it would provide $1.4 million to the White House to develop the National AIDS Strategy.
It is vital that the Senate pass the FY 2009 Omnibus without amendment this week to ensure that funding is increased for these and other lifesaving programs that impact people living with or affected by HIV/AIDS.
If the Senate does not pass the Omnibus, we will instead have a Continuing Resolution at FY 2008 funding levels. This means:
- Flat funding for domestic HIV/AIDS Programs
- Continued high funds for abstience-only
- No funding for a National AIDS Strategy.
for the full alert, your Senators phone numbers, and talking points for your call.